One of the first prohibitory months (Shahr-e- Haram) to be mentioned in the Holy Qur’an. It is considered to be the period of acceptance of wishes & release from hardships. In such prohibitory months, sins carry increased punishment & virtuous acts earn greater rewards.
Fasting on three consecutive days, namely Thursday, Friday and Saturday carries the reward of 900 years of worship. Similarly, fasting on the 25th of this month is equivalent to seventy years fasting in virtue.
One of the best worship acts is a four rak’at namaz which is performed on Sundays of Zilqad. It should be performed as a pair of 2 rak’at namaz. In each rak’at, after reciting Surah al-Hamd once, recite Surah “Qul- Howallaaho Ahad” thrice and both the Surah Falaq & Surah Naas only once.
After completing namaz, say “Astaghferullaah-wa-
As’alohut-Tawbaa” seventy times, concluding with “LAA HAWLA WALAA QUWWATA ILLAA BILLAAHIL A’LIYYIL A’ZEEM. YAA A’ZEEZO YAA GHAFFAARO IGHFIRLI ZONUBEE WA ZONUBA JAMI-I’L MO’MENEENA
WAL MO’MENAAT FA-INNAHU LAA YAGHFERUZ ZONUBA ILLAA ANTA.”
It carries innumerous rewards, the details of which
can be had from Sheikh Qummi’s “Mafaatihul Jinaan”.
The important historical days of this months
- Birth of Janab-e-Masoomah Qum (s.a.). 173 H.
- Treaty of Hudaibiyya was executed, 6 A.H. (618 A.D.)
- Birth of Imam Ali Raza (a.s.) 148 A.H. (According to Aalaamul Waraa & Jalaa-ul-Oyun 153 A.H.) (29-12-768 A.D.) (Unanimous)
- Martyrdom of Imam Ali Raza (a.s.) 203 A.H. (818 A.D.) (Misbah Tusi, Allama Jawadi, Jalaa-ul-Uyun, Anwar-ul-Ghamania, Maulana Najmul Hasan, Almanac)
- Birth of Prophet Ibrahim (a.s.) 1081 years after Tufan-e-Nuh at Kausa (Iraq) and Prophet Isa (a.s.)
– Dahwul Arz (The earth was stretched and Khaan- e-Kaaba was established)
- Martyrdom of Imam Mohammed Taqi (a.s.) 220
A.H. (25-11-835 A.D.) (Unanimous)