Shaikh Mohammed Hasan Mazandarani1 says that after a few days of my marriage I was afflicted with tuberculosis (TB). On account of this illness, I became very weak and soon I was unable to gather strength to even leave my house. However I maintained my ritual of going for Ziyarat every afternoon after Asr. Due to my illness, I was unable to stay there for very long. So I used to recite the Ziyarat quickly and return home. My family members used to put up my bed on the terrace, so as soon as I used to return from Ziyarat, I used to go to the terrace and lie down on my bed.
Once, as was my custom, I returned from Ziyarat and was resting on my bed when a person who looked similar to Sayyed Mahdi Qazvini2 came up to the terrace without informing any one. I was surprised by this. I made a movement to stand up in his respect. I also wanted to inform the ladies not to come upstairs. Instantly, he made a sign with his hand indicating that I should keep silent and not move. He came close to me and started caressing my forehead with his hand. Then he said, how is your condition now? Recite the Holy Quran excessively.
At that moment I felt that I had been completely healed. At the same instant, I became attentive that the person had disappeared. I looked all over for him; I even asked my family members, but no one had seen this person coming or going. It struck me that the person was my master Imam-e-Zamana (a.t.f.s.). I looked everywhere for him, but could not find any sign of him.
- Mazandaran is the name of a city in Iran
- Qazvin is a place in Sayyed Mahdi was from
(Barakat-e-Hazrat Wali Asr (a.t.f.s.), p. 236)
There are several lessons which one can derive from this incident. Some of these are as follows:
- One should try as much as possible to complete those aa’maal which one has made as a routine for However there are times when the heart is tired and one is not able to perform the aa’maal. In such cases, one should refer to the tradition of Hazrat Ameerul Mo’meneen (a.s.), when the hearts are tired, then give them a rest. However if this condition persists for some days, then one should dig deeper into the cause for the same because traditions inform us that sins prevent us from performing good deeds.
- How fortunate was Shaikh Mohammed Hasan Mazandarani who received the advise for reciting the Holy Quran from the Imam (a.t.f.s.) Sufficient it is for the Shiahs to know the importance of the Holy Quran from the incidents of its recitation by Imam Husain (a.s.) even when his blessed head was on the spear or the companions of Imam Husain (a.s.) who recited Quran on the eve of Ashoorah.
- A person may be afflicted by illness at any Therefore at the times when one is healthy, he should use the opportunity to thank Allah for his good health.