The Glory Of Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.)

Syed Mohsin Naquvi

An excerpt from the book – The House of Love

In this part some reports are quoted from the purely Shi’a sources to show the glory of the Ahlul-Bayt. The idea is to highlight the Shi’a belief without jeopardizing the logical arguments we presented in the main text based upon other authentic sources. Most great Shi’a commentators of Qur’an have attributed the revelation of Sura Kauthar (Q., chapter 108) to the birth of Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.) to lady Khadeeja and the Prophet[1]. It is a three-line Sura. It is a three-line Sura.

Surely we have given you Kauthar. Therefore, pray to your Lord and make a sacrifice. Surely your enemy is the one who shall be without posterity.

When one after the other, his sons died in infancy, Muhammad was taunted by his enemies as being “the one cut off” (having no posterity). This was a sign of great shame in seventh century Arabia. At that point, these verses were revealed and Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.) was born. So, Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.) is metaphorically identified as Kauthar (great abundance). Indeed, Muhammad (s.a.w.a.)’s progeny multiplied by the two sons of Fatima, Hasan and Husayn. There is hardly any part of the world today where the Saadaat (Muslims who trace their lineage back to one of the twelve Imams) are not found.

(Mawlana Farman Ali –Urdu Tafseer)

The Prophet of Islam (s.a.w.a.) said:

The best of all women are four – Maryam binte Imran, Fatima binte Muhammad (s.a.), Khadeeja binte Khuwaylad, and Asiya wife of the Pharaoh.

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) said:

When the Day of Judgement would be established, an announcer from the heavens would call out – O people, close your eyes so that Fatima passes over the Siraat. A’yisha says: I have not seen anyone more truthful than Fatima, after the Prophet of Islam.

The sixth Imam J’afar as-Sadiq says:

Lady Fatemah (s.a.) is known by nine names in the presence of Allah – Fatima, Siddiqua, Mubaraka, Tahira, Zakiyya, Radhiyya, Mardhiyya, Muhadditha, and Zahra. If Imam Ali (a.s.) was not there, there would be no one

{Imam Muhammad ibne Ali al-Hadi (a.s.) recited: ….and Allah’s praise for you is needless of the praise of the extollers and the short-comings of the venerators. Allah, the Almighty says (in praise): Of the believers are men who are true to the covenant which they made with Allah: so of them is he who accomplished his vow, and of them is he who yet waits, and they have not changed in the least…’ (Surah Ahzaab (33):32)}

(Al Mazaar, p. 87 of Al Shaheed Al Awwal (Ziyaarat of Ameerul Momineen on Day of Ghadeer) to equal her (in marriage). May our salaams and Allah’s peace be unto them all.

The fifth Imam Muhammad al-Baqir (a.s.) was asked: Why was lady Fatima named Zahra? He (a.s.) replied:

Because Allah created her out of the noor of His own Grace, and the heaven and the earth were brightened by her noor to the extent that the angels were startled and they fell prostrate to Allah, and they asked: O Lord, whose noor is it? Allah replied: this is a blaze out of the noor of My Greatness and Glory, that I have created and have given her a place in the heavens. I will give her presence (in the world) in the progeny of the best of all the prophets; and I will also bring forth all the Imams from this very noor so that they may guide the human race towards the Truth and they will be the deputies of that Prophet.

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) addressed his daughter Fatemah (s.a.) and said:

Dear Daughter, Allah turned to this world first and chose me over all the men, he then turned to the world again and chose Ali out of every one else, he turned to the world again and chose you over all the women, the fourth time He made Hasan and Husayn the most glorious of all the youth of Paradise.

The Prophet of Islam (s.a.w.a.) held her daughter by the hand and said:

Anyone who knows her, then he knows, let the one who does not know, know that this is Fatemah, daughter of the Prophet of Islam, she is a piece of me, she is my heart and my soul. Whoever hurts her, would hurt me, and anyone who hurts me hurts Allah.

Umm Salama (one of the wives of the Prophet) says: The closest in looks to the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) was Lady Fatemah (s.a.).

The sixth Imam Ja’far al-Sadiq (a.s.) said:

Lady Fatemah was named Fatemah because nobody could have real m’arifa (understanding, comprehension) of her person and her glory.

The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) said: Do you know why Fatemah has been named Fatemah? Imam Ali (a.s.) replied: Tell us O Prophet of Allah. The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) then said:

Because she herself and all her devotees will be saved from the Fire.

Imam Ja’far al-Sadiq (a.s.) says:

The Holy Prophet used to kiss Fatemah Zahra often. One day A’yisha objected to that. The Prophet replied: When I went to heavens, during the Meraj I entered Paradise. Jibreel took me close to the tree of Tooba. He gave me a fruit of that tree, and I ate it. When I returned to the earth I spent the night with Khadeeja. It was then that she became pregnant with

Fatemah. (That is, Fatima’s existence was out of the fruit of Tooba). When I kiss Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.), I smell the fragrance of that fruit once again.

Ibn Abbas reports: One day, Ali, Fatemah, Hasan, and Husayn (a.s.) were sitting next to the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.). The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) at that moment said: O Allah, I know that these are my Ahlul-Bayt; they are the most beloved to me. Allah, love those who love them, and hate those who hate them, help those who help them. Keep them away from all rijz, protect them from all evil, and help them by the support of the Rooh ul-Quds. Then he (s.a.w.a.) turned to Imam Ali (a.s.) and said: O Ali, you are the Imam of this Ummah and my deputy, you will guide the mo’mineen towards the Paradise, as if I am watching my daughter riding a carriage of noor, seventy thousand angels are on her right, and another seventy thousand are on her left, seventy thousand are in front of her and another seventy thousand her behind her, and she is carrying the women of my Ummah with her to the Paradise.

Therefore, (the Prophet continues) any woman who prays five times a day, fasts in the month of Ramadhan, goes to Hajj, and pays out Zakat out of her own wealth, and is obedient to her husband, and is a devotee of Ali bin Abi Talib, she will enter Paradise on Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.)’s recommendation. Fatima is the best of the women of Paradise.

All the above-mentioned hadeeth reports are quoted by Ayatullah Ibraheem Amini in his book Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.), his source being Kashf al-Ghumma and other great books.

Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.) comes out as the center and source of LOVE and COMPASSION. Here own father, the Prophet of Islam, named her Ummo Abiha, the mother of her own father, out of extreme love and due to teh compassion she had for her father from teh early childhood. Lady Kahdija passed away when Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.) was very young – some 7-8 years old. The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) would return home after having been wounded by the kids throwing rocks at him, some times he would come home drenched in filth which his enemies would throw at him. The little Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.) would clean her father up with great love and care and would also cry for his pains and sufferings.

On the day of Uhud, when she heard that the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) had been wounded in the battle field, she ran all the way from Madina to Uhud, found her father bleeding from his mouth because he had lost two front teeth. She burnt some silk and put the ashes in his wounds, that stopped the bleeding.

We read in the Hadeeth-e-Kisa that when her children enter the house and say salam to her, she does not respond just with wa alayk as-Salam, instead she adds and goes on to say Ya Qurrata Ayni, Ya Samarati Fawaadi – O you the light of eye, and the fruit of my heart.

In this short monologue, Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.) taught us, the faithful Muslims, not only how to love our children but also how to express that love.

Imam Hasan (a.s.) says:

When my mother would finish her daily prayers, she would supplicate to Allah and ask for the prosperity of his neighbours and mention eevery one of them by name. One day I asked her: “Dear mother, you ask for the prosperity of every person but you never ask Allah for anything for yourself, why is that?” She replied: “My dear son, I do not have to ask Allah for anything – He has already given me Everything I need.”

On the day of MUBAHALA, the Prophet of Islam (s.a.w.a.) chose only Fatemah Zahra (s.a.) as the woman who was going to represent the invitation of the Qur’an:

If anyone still disputes with you, despite the knowledge you have received, then say, “Let us summon our sons and your sons, our women and your women, ourselves and yourselves, then let us invoke Allah’s curse so that the liars could be exposed.”

In spite of the fact that the holy Qur’an has used a plural for women, the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) chose only Fatemah Zahra (s.a.) out of all the women in the

Muslim community. This was a clear evidence that the only woman in the community who could match up to the Qur’anic standard of TRUTHFULNESS was Lady Fatemah Zahra (s.a.) and her alone.

{Imam Ali Ibn Husain (a.s.) said: Had it been possible for the nation to seek kingship without associating with his (s.a.w.a.) prophethood, they would most certainly have turned away from his (s.a.w.a.) prophethood.}

(Kashf al-Muhajjah by Sayyed Ali Ibn Moosa Ibn Taoos (r.a.) p. 125)