According to Islamic calendar, the month of Rajab is considered to be most auspicious and blessed. No other month has as many distinctive e features as this month has. This is one of the four months declared sacred (Shahr-e-Haraam) by Allah in the Holy Qur’an.
The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) said:
“The month of Rajab, in its superabundant favours and benefits reverence and sanctions, is next to none. It is linked to Almighty Allah as Shaabaan to me and Ramazan to my Ummah.”
It has also been narrated that there is a canal in Paradise named Rajab and its water is whiter than milk and sweeter than honey and whoever observes one fast on one of the days of this month would be saturated by its water.
(Man laa yahzorohul Faqih, H. No. 1821)
Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.) said that when Prophet Nooh (a.s.) mounted on his ark on the first of Rajab then he asked his companions to observe fast on that day.
The Imam further said that whoever observes fast for even one day, in this month, Hell will be kept away from him at a distance of one year’s journey, whoever observes fast for seven days then all the seven doors of the Hell will be closed for him, whoever fasts for eight days all the eight doors of the Paradise will be opened for him, whoever fasts for 15 days would be awarded anything for which he asks and Allah (s.w.t.) would enhance His Bountings as much as one would increase the numbers of his fasts in this month.
(Man laa yahzorohul Faqih,, H. No. 1820)
However, many distinctive features have enhanced the sanction of this month.
The Masoomin (a.s.) have recommended some of the most benefit Aamaal, duas (supplications and various prayers, a few of which are presented hereunder. For details please refer Mafaati Jinaan:
- Allah (s.w.t.) shall forgive and have mercy on him who recites: “ASHTAGHFERUL LAAHAL LAZEE LAA ELAAHAA ILLAA HOWA WAHDAHU LAA SHARIKA LAHU WA ATOOBO ELAIHE.” (I ask the forgiveness of Allah. There is no god save Him alone without having any partner. And I repent before Him) at least 100 ti (400 ti will accrue more rewards) and recite “LAA ELAAHA ILLAL LAAH” 1000 times during the month of Rajab, and gives alms in the name of Allah (s.w.t.) at the completion
- Recite Surah al-Ikhlaas at least 100 times (1000 or 10, times will accrue more rewards) in the month of Rajab.
- Keep fast on any day in this month and pray four Rak’at Namaz to secure an abode near the inti te friends of Allah (s.w.t.)
- In the first Raka’t after reciti Surah al- Fateha, recite Aayatul Kursi 100 ti
- In the second Raka’t after reciti Surah al-Fateha, recite Surah al-Ikhlaas 200 times.
- Third and fourth Rakat as above.
The important historical days of this month are :
1st. Birth of Imam Mohammed al-Baqer (a.s.), 57 A.H. (676 A.D.).
Prophet Nooh (Noah) (a.s.) mounted on his ark. 3rd Martyrdom of Imam Ali Naqi (a.s.), 254 A.H. (28-6-868 A.D.) (According to some 26th of Jamadi as-Saani)
5th Birth of Imam Ali Naqi (a.s.), 241 A.H. (according to some scholars he was born in the month of Ramazan)
7th Birth of Hazrat Abbas (a.s.) 26 A.H. (645 A.D.) at Madina. (According to some scholars he was born on 19th Jamadi-al-Ula, by some on 26th Jamadi-us-saani, 18th Rajab and mostly on 4th Shaban)
9th Birth of Hazrat Ali Asghar (a.s.), the infant martyr of karbala (according to some 24th Rajab).
10th Birth of Imam Mohammed Taqi (a.s.) 195 A.H., (8-4-811 A.D.)
13th Birth of Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (a.s.) inside Holy Kaaba where none else was born before or after him, (25th May 600 A.D., 30 Aamul Fil, or 22 years before Hijrat.)
15th Martyrdom of Imam Jafar as-Sadiq (a.s.), 148 A.H. (according to some he was martyred on 25th Shawwal, 765 A.D.).
Qibla was changed to Holy Kaaba from Baitul Muqaddas.
Sayyeda Fatema Zahra (s.a.) was sent (after marriage) from the house of Holy Prophet to the house of Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (a.s.).
20th Birth of Sayyeda Sakina (daughter of Imam Husain a.s.)
22th Moawiya died, 60 A.H. (according to some, he died on 15th Rajab)
24th Imam Ali (a.s.)’s conquest of Khaibar, the invincible fort of the Jews, 7 A.H.
25th Martyrdom of Imam Musa Kazim (a.s.) due to poisoning by Harun al-Abbasi, 183 A.H. (1-9- 794 A.D.)
26th Death of Hazrat Abu Talib (a.s.), 10 Be’sat the year was declared Aam-al-Huzn (year of mourning) by the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.).
27th Me’raj of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) 12 Be’sat (621 A.D.)
Be’sat, the fi st revelati The fi st ayat (of surah Alaq) of the Holy Quran was reminded to the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) in the cave of Hira.
28th Imam Husain (a.s.) left Madina for Karbala (60 A.H.)
Note: The above mention dates and the events which occured on the said dates have been quoted from the following books whereas in some of the dates the ulema differ :
- Mafaati Jinaan
- Tafsir al-Mizan, 2, by Allamah Tabatabai
- Zikr-o-Fikr by Allama Zishan Haider.